Certified Driving license Translation

    Espresso Translations is a certified translation agency that provides certified translations of driver licenses that are valid for use in the US, the UK, the EU and abroad. If you need your driver’s license translated by a professional, get a fast quote from us.

    Google reviews 2022 300x300 1
    TrustPilot Review 300x300 1

    Request a Quote Now

    We’ll get back to you with a competitive quote.

    Forbes new
    IMDB new
    Jaguar new 1
    Universal new 2
    National Geographic new 2
    EY new

    Our driver’s license certified translation services

    You must carry the proper documents with you when driving in another country. This should include your original license and possibly a certificate showing that you are allowed to drive in that country. If your license is not in English, this means planning ahead to get your driver’s license translated into the other country’s language before you go. 

    This certified driver license translation will make your life easier when abroad, especially if you plan to drive often. If you wind up having even a minor traffic accident or other problem, the importance of a certified translation will be multiplied.

    We recommend using an accredited agency that employs certified translators to make sure that the foreign authorities accept your translated license and any other translated documents you need.

    As an example, Espresso Translations is a certified translation agency based in London that does certified translations of driving licenses that are valid for use in the US, the UK and other countries. Our extensive experience in providing professional translation of documents around the world can reassure you that your driver’s license translation will be complete and accurate and accompanied by a certificate that authorities will accept.

    Espresso Translations can offer certified driving license translation services into more than 150 languages because we work with more than 1,500 accredited translators of many different nationalities. Our agency is ISO-certified, meaning that our translators are native speakers of their target languages, have more than 5 years’ experience and only translate into their native languages.

    You can get a free quote from Espresso Translations by simply emailing us or filling out our online form. Then, within one hour, we will provide you with both a competitively priced quote and an expected turnaround time. Driver’s licenses are typically short translations, so the price will be relatively low.

    When requesting a translation of a driver’s license, please send us a clear, legible scan of the front and the back of your plastic license. No words should be cut off on the scan.

    When your translation is ready, we will email you a copy of your translated driver’s license that follows the same format as the original document. If you need a hard copy of the translation, we can also mail you a hard copy of it for a small fee. 

    If you need driver’s license translation services in the United States or anywhere else, we can generally provide certified translations within one working day after you place your order. The translation process may take longer if your license has more complex formatting than usual.

    In urgent cases when you need a driving license translated for same-day delivery, the process is the same: email us or use our online form and provide complete details, including your desired delivery date. Our 24-hour express service means we can get your certified translation quickly sent to you in a matter of hours.

    Our driver’s license translation services offer:

    Acceptance by A wide range of government entities
    Work by credentialled translatorsOur accredited translators have 5+ years’ experience.
    If needed, it can beCertified, sworn or notarized
    Quality assuranceISO 17100 certification
    Reasonably priced standard servicePrices start from $30 + VAT
    Many languagesMore than 150 languages
    Optional expedited deliveryMeets urgent translation needs.
    Other servicesApostille service is available.

    International driving license translations accepted by your state’s motor vehicle department

    In the US, the states have different names for the agency that handles motor vehicle services. Often it is a DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles), but it might also be called a BMV, OMV, MVD, RMV, etc. Regardless of the name, all of our certified driving license translations are recognized and accepted by US and Canadian states and provinces, as well as the UK, the EU and many other countries.

    Whatever the requirements, we abide by .gov translation certification rules, guaranteeing that your translated document will be accepted by the authorities in the targe country. We have translated thousands of driver’s licenses over the years.

    US department of interior
    US immigration
    US health service

    Why translate a driver’s license?

    When you plan to move to another country, especially if you will be driving there, you will probably need to get your driver’s license translated. Most countries will accept a driver’s license written in English, but if you are in an English-speaking country and your license is in another language, you will need a translation. The type of translation will depend on both the country where you intend to use your license and what you will use it for. 

    In addition to matters related to cars and driving, foreign states or countries may need a translated copy of your driving license as a supporting document for a settlement request or visa application, criminal or civil proceedings, rental applications or employment clearances. And, of course, all such documents must be in English.

    You should know that if your license was issued in an EU member state and you want to drive anywhere in the EU, you are not legally required to get a translation of your license. If you want to drive outside the EU member states, however, you will need a certified translation. Bear in mind that your license will need to have been valid for 6 months or longer. You will not need an apostille or additional legalistic certifications to use your EU document.

    If you have a UK license (in English), it is a good idea to have your license translated when driving abroad for the sake of:

    • Legality: The authorities in a foreign country will accept translated documents if they are certified. Acceptance will allow you to drive in that country without driving-related bureaucratic issues and potential penalties. 
    • Clarity: If you need to show your license while in a different country, perhaps during a traffic stop or a situation when you need to present your documents, a professionally translated license will prevent problems and misunderstandings. 
    • Peace of mind: With a certified translation of your license, you can drive in a country where people speak a foreign language with the confidence that you can show your personal documents to officials for any reason, as needed. 

    Other reasons you might need to translate your license include:

    • Obtaining auto insurance
    • Making a long-term car rental
    • Legal procedures related to a traffic accident

    Note that if you intend to stay in another country for a long time, you will probably need to convert your driver’s license to a local one.

    How to translate your driver’s license for use in the United States

    If you plan to use a foreign driver’s license in the US, we recommend hiring an official translation agency to translate your driver’s license. Just give the agency a clear image (preferably a scan) of your original license and a certified translator will translate your document into the language you need. A Certification Seal will also be affixed to the document to prove to the authorities that it is a true and accurate translation of the original. The agency will email the translated license plus certification to you, with a hard copy sent by postal mail if requested.

    If you learned to drive abroad and wish for your certificate to be accepted when you return home, you will need to have your driver’s license converted.

    How do I get my driver’s license translated online?

    The good news is that getting your driver’s license translated online is a convenient, straightforward process. 

    Start things off by contacting Espresso through our online form. Your free quote will be sent within an hour. You will need to tell us which country you will be driving in and which language you need your license translated into. Be sure to attach a photocopy, scan or clear photo of the front and back of your license.

    Then, relax. Espresso will soon email you a copy of your translated and certified driver’s license. If you need a hard copy of the license for some reason, we can also send one to you by post for a small fee.

    What do our clients say?

    Here at Espresso Translations, we take pride in our top-notch customer service, including speedy support and comprehensive guidance from our project managers. Need proof? Look at our customer reviews:

    I recently utilized the certified translation services offered by Espresso Translations, and I must say that I am thoroughly impressed. From start to finish, the entire process was seamless and efficient.

    – David


    The translations provided by Espresso Translations were of exceptional quality. The accuracy and precision with which they translated my official documents were impressive.

    – Paul

    British Embassy

    What is a Driver’s License Translation?

    A certified translation of a driving license is an official document that meets the requirements specified by the motor vehicle department where you will travel. The certification supplied with your translated license is a statement of truth declaring that the translation is accurate.

    Espresso Translations is an official translation agency that provides reliable, certified translations of driver’s licenses. Your translation will be done by a native speaker of the language it is being translated into.

    If you are not sure whether you need a regular translation or a certified translation, the following table may help you compare the two:

    Certified TranslationRegular Translation
    Meets DMV requirementsNot guaranteed to meet DMV requirements.
    Accepted by the authoritiesThe authorities may refuse it.
    Accurate and reliableAccuracy is not guaranteed.

    What is an international translation of a foreign driver’s license?

    You will need an international translation of your driver’s license if you will be driving in another country. Having a certified translation of your license makes interactions with foreign law enforcement officers easier, as they can read your document and see your proof of driving authorization.

    It is important to get a certified translation to prove that the translation has been done accurately by an accredited professional who can certify the faithfulness of their translation. 

    If you have a driver’s license in English, some countries may well accept it as is, but other countries may not consider it an official legal document unless it has been translated and certified by a sworn translator.

    Ready To Get Started?

    Send us your project request, and we’ll get back to you within 1 hour with a competitive quote.

    Sample of a professional driver’s license translation

    driving license translation services

    Here is an example of a translation certification:

    certified translation services uk

    Who can certify translations in the US?

    Any translator can certify translations in the US. So it’s important to do your homework before hiring a translator, especially if you need a certified translation done. For the best results, look for a translator or agency with ISO certification—such as Espresso Translations. When hiring a translator in the United States, find someone who has an ATA (American Translator Association) certification, a DLPT (Defense Language Proficiency Test) certification, or a relevant college degree.

    In order not to risk your document being rejected by an official or an institution, be sure to ask for a certified translator and a certified translation. A professional translator will affix translation certifications to their translations to assure authorities and government bodies that the translation is true, reliable and accurate.

    Does USCIS accept self translation?

    You might get away with submitting a translation you did yourself to the USCIS, except that the USCIS requires certified translations. This means that the translation must be certified by an impartial translator, preferably a different person than the original translator, so that it can be relied upon to be accurate and authentic. 

    Driver’s license translations are generally not expensive, so you are best advised to hire the services of a professional translator or translation agency for the translation and the certification. Using a professional translator is recommended for several reasons:

    • Accuracy and authenticity: Certified translations are recognized by the USCIS and other authorities. The certification verifies that the translation is a true and accurate version of the original driver’s license. 
    • Reliability and accountability: A professional driver’s license translation service gives you the best assurance that your translated license will meet all legal requirements.

    Who can perform a foreign driver’s license translation?

    A driver’s license is an important document that may be used frequently for many purposes, so you want to get the best quality you can and a translation you can trust. Hire an official, certified translator to translate your foreign driver’s license so that you meet the accuracy and authenticity requirements of the state or institution in question. 

    Professional translation agencies that specialize in document translation employ experienced translators who have the knowledge to create a translation that will be legally accepted.

    Hire only agencies like Espresso Translations that are accredited by professional standards like ISO 17100.

    How much does it cost to translate a driver’s license?

    The cost of a fully certified translation in the US will vary from agency to agency, but the price for a translated driver’s license will start around $30 (plus tax). 

    In general, the charge for a translation will be based on its word count and any specialized knowledge required for the translation. The longer your document is, the more words it likely contains and the higher the fee will be. Most driver’s licenses will not have high word counts.

    Unusual language pairs may require the time and expertise of a specialist translator in order to deliver an accurate, reliable translation. This may add to the total cost.

    When you are ready to translate your driver’s license, please contact us via email or our online form. Espresso Translations will get back to you promptly with a reasonable price and a delivery time.

    Certified translator of a driving license

    A professional translator will provide a certified translation of your original license into another language. The translation returned to you will also include a certification signed by the translator that contains a statement of truth and the linguist’s contact information. This certification is highly recommended, if not required, as an assurance of accuracy and quality.

    Where can I find the best driving license translation service near me?

    Espresso Translations offers certified driving license translation to clients anywhere in the world, so your location is not going to be an issue. Everything can be done online, except for the occasional need for a hard copy of the translation, which can be sent through the mail.

    Espresso has a network of professional translators all over the globe, as well as a team of notaries and legalization partners in several different countries, so borders are not barriers.

    Can I translate my driver’s license online?

    Yes, and as a matter of fact, most translations are done online these days. A certified translation company online can provide you with an accurate translation of your driver’s license. Agencies like Espresso Translation have an extensive team of translators in 150 languages who can translate your driver’s license (and all other kinds of documents) from and into most any language. 

    Getting your driving license translated online is straightforward, as long as you follow a few simple steps. The first step is to contact us via email or our online form with a clear scanned copy of your document. Next, Espresso will promptly send you a free quote and delivery date. Then you can rest assured that our translators will deliver your certified driver’s license translated from your language into English, ready to be used for all official and legal purposes. All this takes place from the comfort of your home or office.

    Request a Quote Now

    We will get back to you within 1 hour


    Espresso Translations Reviews

    Frequently Asked Questions

    Is an international driving permit (IDP) the same as a translated driving license?

    No, a translated driver’s license is different from an International Driving Permit, or IDP. A translated license carries the same legal weight as your original license, whereas an IDP does not.

    An IDP proves that you have a driving license that is valid in your home country. It includes your name, photo and personal information translated into ten different languages so that foreign officials can more easily verify your credentials.

    A certified and translated driver’s license serves as an accurate representation of your original driver’s license. Many states in the US will want to see both an IDP and a certified translation of your original license.

    What are the legal implications of not having a translated driving license in the US?

    Do not drive in the United States unless you have at minimum a certified, translated driver’s license. Driving without a license in the US can land you with fines, legal problems, and some real inconveniences. A driver’s license is needed in other situations as well, such as identification.
    To avoid any potentially unpleasant consequences, remember two things:

    – A translated driving license is a legal requirement: If your original driver’s license is not written in the English, you will need a certified translation so that officials can understand your license information. 
    – Your translated driver’s license must be certified. A certified translation will meet legal requirements as an official driver’s license. Be sure to hire a certified translation agency like Espresso Translations in order to be sure that the authorities will accept the translation. 

    What driving licenses are valid in the US?

    Valid (unexpired) driver’s licenses from foreign countries that are issued in English can be accepted in the United States, although some individual states will also require you to have an IDP or international driving permit in order to drive. Any foreign license that was not issued in English needs to be translated and certified, and the possible requirement for an IDP remains in certain states.

    Check your license before you travel to be sure that it won’t expire while you are in a different country. An expired driver’s license will probably not be recognized, and you could face legal penalties as well.

    Which countries can convert a driver’s license to the US?

    Some US states have what is known as a “reciprocal driver’s license agreement” with certain foreign countries. If you are visiting one of these states, you can apply for a US driver’s license in that state without having to take a driving test. Otherwise, you should be ready to present a certified English translation of your license and, possibly an IDP. Note that you may need the translated driver’s license and an IDP to rent a car in the United States.

    Drivers must be at least 18 years old to get an IDP. They will also need to have a valid driver’s license from their home country, translated into English as needed.

    You should note that the rules above only apply to privately owned car and motorcycle license holders. If you will be driving a commercial vehicle such as a bus or truck, there will be other requirements, depending on the state, including possible testing and fees.

    Which states require an International Driving Permit?

    Check the DMV website for all states you might drive in and see if they require an International Driving Permit or IDP. You will need to get an IDP before you leave your home country, because you cannot get it in the United States. Contact the motor vehicle department where you got your driver’s license and ask them how to get an IDP.

    Can someone drive in the US with a foreign license?

    If you have a driver’s license that was issued in English, you are off to a good start. If your driver’s license is in another language, you need to get a certified translation of your license into English. Then, depending on which state or states you will drive in, an International Driving Permit may also be required. You may need to be over 18 in some countries, and time limits may exist for this driving privilege.

    Is my UK paper driving license valid in the US?

    If you have had your paper license from the UK for at least one year, and your age is at least 21, your UK license is most likely valid in the United States. Paper licenses specifically have different rules: your paper license should have been issued before 2000, and your personal information should not have changed from what is printed on it.
    Because the US states have different requirements for foreign visitors who drive, you may also need an International Driving Permit. Check with the motor vehicle department in the state or state you will visit to see what they require.

    How do I get an international driver’s license?

    If you have a US driver’s license and are planning to travel abroad and drive, check the destination country to see if they recognize US licenses. You can legally drive with a valid US driver’s license in the UK, Canada, Mexico, many countries in the European Union, and some Asian countries, but you should definitely find out the specifics for your destination, as laws may change over time. Many countries require an International Driving Permit (IDP), and you can only get an IDP if you are at least 18 years old and have a valid US license (learner’s permits don’t count). There are usually time limits as well, ranging from one month to twelve months. Longer stays may require you to convert your driver’s license to a local one.
    In the United States, contact your local AAA (American Automobile Association) to apply for an IDP. You will need your driver’s license and a couple of international passport photos, then fill out an application and pay a modest fee.

    How do I convert my US driving license to international?

    You must find out what the country where you are going requires in order to drive. The US State Department has a webpage on driving and road safety while abroad that international drivers might find helpful.
    Often an International Driving Permit (the official name for an international driver’s license) is required, and this can be obtained at your nearest AAA office. You will need to have a valid US driver’s license and two suitable photographs, then fill out an application and pay a fee.

    Can I convert my license to a US license?

    Foreigners wishing to drive in the United States should take two steps:
    1. Get a certified translation of your license if it is not already in English.
    2. Get an International Driving Permit, especially if you will be traveling from state to state in the US. Different states have different requirements, but they all accept an IDP.
    Some countries have driving privilege reciprocity with the United States if you have a valid driver’s license where you live. There may be some limitations on foreign licenses if you are younger than 18 years old or more than 75 years old.

    Can I exchange my foreign driver license in the US?

    As long as your UK or Canadian driver’s license has not expired and you are at least 21 years of age, you do not need to exchange it to drive in the US for up to three months. If you intend to remain in the US for longer than three months, you should get an IDP or international driving permit from your home country before you leave. In fact, it’s recommended that you get an IDP regardless, because of the different driving laws in different US states.

    Canadians can drive in the US with a Canadian license for up to six months. You should get an IDP if you stay for more than six months.

    If you have an Australian driver’s license, you must carry it in the US and you must also have an IDP. The laws are similar if you have a driver’s license from New Zealand, except that you must also be at least 18 years old.
    If you have a driver’s license in a language other than English, you should get a certified translation of your license. As above, we suggest you get an IDP before you leave your home country.

    At Espresso Translations, we have years of experience in translating driver’s licenses into more than 150 different languages.